Thursday, May 5, 2016

T+3 Weeks (w/ Voice Sample)

It's been a little over three weeks since my SLAD-R surgery at UCLA with Dr. Berke. 

My voice is still a whisper and it can be very frustrating at times. The most noticeable improvement is my ability to speak more words in a sentence before having to take another breath. Don't get me wrong, I still feel winded if I'm trying to push the words out in a loud environment. But in quiet indoor environments I am noticing I'm able to hold a pretty normal conversation without feeling light headed. 

This week I finally started exercising again. On 5/2 (Monday), I went for a 2.25 mile jog. I was pretty winded after the first mile so I decided to half walk and half jog for the remainder of it. I also did the same on 5/4 (Wednesday) and today 5/5 (Thursday). 

Prior to surgery I would workout 4-5x a week so it felt good to start exercising again but I can't wait to get back in the gym and lifting again. I need to wait about 1 month post op per Dr. Holliday before lifting heavy weights. 

I still need to be mindful that I don't gulp down liquids too quickly. Other than that, I have been eating and drinking as normal. 

I am able to touch the incision site with no problems. I apply mederma 3x a day in addition to mederma PM before I go to bed. My bottom neck line present before surgery is still more prominent than normal which I'm presuming is from slight post surgical swelling which I can feel when I touch the incision site. It's not painful but just slightly tender and numb to the touch. The scar is a little dark and I'm hoping it will lighten over time. I posted a closeup and regular shot of the incision site below. 

I'm still recuperating in San Francisco and return back to Hawaii on 5/15. 


Incision site
Incision site (close up)




No comments:

Post a Comment